Thursday 9 October 2014

Veganism 101

To celebrate World Vegetarian Awareness month (October) I wanted to let you know more about vegetarianism. I'm not a vegetarian but I decided to interview one Megan Roosevelt, Registered Dietitian and Founder of HealthyGroceryGirl.com



  • As a Registered Dietitian what exactly do you do?

There are a variety of fields of practice for a Registered Dietitian (RD) such as working in a hospital, out patient clinic, public health, private practice & more.

For me personally I own & run a business, am an author, producer & host. As an RD & through my business Healthy Grocery Girl I provide nutrition coaching & also create & provide multi-media nutrition resources such as our online nutrition programs, weekly cooking & healthy lifestyle show & I am also a nutrition expert for magazines & television.

  • Why and When did you decide to become a vegan?

For me personally I became vegan for health reasons, because I love animals and because it’s good for the environment. I became a vegetarian 10 years ago & slowly transitioned into a vegan lifestyle.

  • As a vegan could you tell us about your plant-based diet?

I eat a variety of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes (beans) & grains. The Healthy Grocery Girl website, cooking show & our nutrition programs provide a variety of plant-based vegan recipes, which are the exact recipes I make for myself & for my family.

  • What are the pro's to adopting this lifestyle?

For me personally, eating plant-based has provided me with more energy, has helped clear up my skin & has improved my digestion & bowel regularity, just to name a few benefits. By eating plant-based I feel healthier in the present day & I also know I am being preventive from diet-related diseases long-term.

  • What would you recommend to those who want to become a vegan?

I would recommend to anyone who is looking to make dietary changes, such as going vegan, to meet with a Registered Dietitian to assist in nutrition education & guidance. Meeting with a nutrition expert such as an RD will ensure your personal nutritional needs are discussed & help you gain further understanding, tools and resources to support eating a balanced vegan diet.

  • Any further comments on veganism?

Eating a plant-based vegan diet can be affordable, realistic, delicious & meet your nutrition needs! Our Healthy Grocery Girl Nutrition Plan provides a 90-day transitional meal plan program with a grocery shopping list, recipes & nutrition education, which is as a guide to help someone transition into a balanced plant-based lifestyle.

Huge thank you to Megan for taking the time out for the interview. Hopefully it clears things up for you! 





BIO:

Megan Roosevelt is a plant-based Registered and Licensed Dietitian as well as the founder and CEO of healthygrocerygirl.com. She is an author, web TV host, producer and regular nutrition expert for magazines as well as local and national television. Healthy Grocery Girl® provides nutrition services and multi-media resources that help individuals and families shop, cook and eat healthy including the Healthy Grocery Girl® Nutrition Plan and Online Community and the "Healthy Grocery Girl® Show", a free weekly online cooking and healthy lifestyle show.




Megan Roosevelt, RD, LD
Founder l CEO at Healthy Grocery Girl LLC

NEW! Nutrition Plan and Online Community  





Social Media:


"Animals are my friends, I don't eat my friends..." -George Bernard Shaw



No comments:

Post a Comment