Thursday 23 October 2014

The Best Fat Burning Workout


Well what makes it the best? It's easy, doesn't require skill, you are engaging a lot of muscles which burns fat effectively. Meet Debola, a dance competitor. 





When and why did you start dancing?

I started dancing at quite a young age, my mum put my sister and I in ballet classes (I quit 
that early on so don’t ask me to show any ballet moves lol) and I danced quite a lot at school and at church. Initially, dance was more about ‘following’ my sister, I did everything she did, but then as I got older I realised I loved it just as much as she did. My mum loves dance so I guess you could say it’s in my blood.


What kind of dancing do you do?

 I’ve tried a few styles; street, cheerleading, burlesque, salsa, tap, ballet, hip-hop, contemporary, jazz and African, oh and Chinese Fan dance (loved it)  I can’t claim to be good at all of them but I always try a new style when I can, just for fun. I’m not an established dancer or anything, dancing is more of a hobby for me.


Around how many calories do your burn during a session?



II’m not sure as I don’t tend to count but I’m guessing around 300-500 depending on the style and intensity of the warm-ups and the length of the session as well as the style.



What are the benefits in comparison to running etc?

Dancing is more FUN! A lot of the time you don’t realise you’re losing weight or getting more toned, it’s more about enjoying yourself, and sometimes in my case, pushing yourself to perform the best you can.


Tell us about your dance routine? What are your thoughts on Zumba?

I can’t really describe any one routine, I’ve danced mostly in shows or competitions but a session is usually; warm up and stretch, learn/rehearse a routine and warm down/stretch. I’ve never actually tried Zumba, but when I do I’ll let you know!


What would you recommend to a beginner?

Find a local club or if you’re still in school or at university, join the dance societies. Don’t get too caught up in the weight loss aspect and just do the best you can. Also, ALWAYS STRETCH before you dance!





Any further comments?

I combine dancing with a healthy lifestyle (most of the time, lol). I try to cut out sweets and chocolates and all the unhealthy snacks, and I replace them with fruit and nuts. I also exercise often – squats and ab work mostly. Hopefully I’ve shed a bit of light on dance as an exercise, I’m not a professional, just a girl who loves to dance!


Thanks for answering the questions, I hope you guys find it useful! 

"Dancers are the athletes of God" -Albert Einstein



No comments:

Post a Comment